Subject: Re: syria-turkey
Date: Jan 14, 2006 @ 15:29
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Dallen Timothy <dtimothy@a...> wrote:

> Hi folks,
> I just got back last night from a trip to the Middle East. I had the fortunate experience of
crossing over the Turkey-Syria border and the Syria-Lebanon border. It was fascinating,
and I'll be posting some pictures on my Website next week. Surprisingly, the border was
well marked on the Turkey-Syria border, but not on the Syria-Lebanon border. I was
surprised by the Turkey-Syria marking because Syria apparently still claims the Hatay
province (the little piece of Turkey that hangs down along the coast halfway through
Turkey) as its own--Syrian maps still show it as part of Syria. I'll leave you salivating until
next week.
> Dallen

here is why syria is only drooling in her sleep over that
http://www.law.fsu.edu/library/collection/LimitsinSeas/IBS163.pdf

& the flap is its own entire province of turkey
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/middle_east_and_asia/turkey_admin83.jpg

but it faces 3 provinces on the syrian side
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/middle_east_and_asia/syria_pol90.jpg
& thus presents a few major tripoints
tho they dont look very close to the main border crossings

& no surprise that the lebanon syria border is vague
as it is one of the very few that dont even have an international boundary study

& of course there are tripoints there too but same story if not moreso