Subject: Re: RE : Re: [BoundaryPoint] Oil rig or lighthouse in int'l waters
Date: Jan 12, 2006 @ 14:50
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)

actually none of these boxes are really boundaries
sean
nor
accordingly
do they produce any real boundary multipoints

nor btw could they or the subjects of your earlier
questions possibly have anything to do with our topic
here
which is geopolitical multipointing

the boxy geometric lines you see on many maps of the
pacific are purely allocational
which simply means
islands on one side belong to the country on that side

& those on the other belong to the country on the
other side

so really they are just for ready reference & easy
visualization

& any protrusions from the basic boxy shapes therefore
must contain islands belonging to the country centered
in the box

but the actual boundaries in these areas are
by & large
conventional sea law boundaries just like everywhere
else
based on distances from land etc

&
when coasts & islands move about
the maritime borders they generate move about with
them

&
of course there are many oil rigs etc in eezs all over
the world

indeed thats probably where most of them are

hope that helps

also for other general border questions not relating
to multipointing
& indeed the elsewhere you are probably seeking in
this particular case
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/borderpoint/

--- Seÿffffe1n O'Connell <gleannmaghair@...>