Subject: RE: [BoundaryPoint] Re: but why suppose an eglysd datum has ever been stated or even can be synthesized
Date: Jan 11, 2006 @ 18:50
Author: Hugh Wallis ("Hugh Wallis" <hugh@...>)

Boiling it down to actual numbers:

Points defined using the datums typically used in Egypt are approximately 130m meridianally distant and 117m lattitudinally distant (resulting in a total straight line distance of sqrt(130^2 + 117^2) = 175m approx) from a point that has the same coordinates expressed as WGS84.

Points defined using datums typically used in the Sudan are approximately 166m meridianally distant and 14m lattitudinally distant (resulting in a total straight line distance of sqrt(166^2 + 14^2) = 166m approx) from a point that has the same coordinates expressed as WGS84.

So if an Egypt based datum was used then it is not clear to me that the lattitudinal difference would be "far" less than the meridianal difference (~117m vs ~130m)

>>a general statement cant be made if you drag the exceedingly anomalous & inapplicable
east indies into this african desert once again
<<

well sure - not just east indies but also USA and Canada (1927) and Eastern Europe - its all in the numbers really and that's just where they happen to differ differently :) - and that's the point I was trying to make really - just that it's "all in the numbers"