Subject: RE: [BoundaryPoint] Re: EGLYSD class b
Date: Jan 05, 2006 @ 19:47
Author: Hugh Wallis ("Hugh Wallis" <hugh@...>)

Aha - here is the description of how confluence.org deal with confluences on borders (http://www.confluence.org/infoconf.php#owner). It appears that this doesn't add anything of use to our disucssion

Confluences on borders
Confluences exactly on the Northern and Eastern borders of a state, province or country will be included in that state, province or country. Confluences on the Southern and Western borders will be included in the bordering state, province or country.

Historically, borders were defined by a variety of methods, and most that refer to specific coordinates were done long before the WGS84 system was defined. As a result, sometimes the above rule isn't needed for "border confluences". For example, the Canada/United States border, from 123°W on the the west coast to 96°W between Manitoba and Minnesota, when viewed using WGS84 coordinates, is actually a line that zig-zags back and forth across the 49th parallel. None of the confluences along the border are actually on the border, so they belong to the province/state in which they are located. If this part of the Canada/United States border was defined as the WGS84 49th parallel, then the above rule would apply, and all these confluences would belong to the United States. See the Canada page for more information.