Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Boundary Line Maine - New Brunswick
Date: Dec 07, 2005 @ 03:13
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)

nice one jack to celebrate the eve of our bp 5 & a
half year anniversary
& evidently the prelude to the webster ashburton
treaty of 1842 too
per bus&ss pp16f
which btw actually retraced & modified meqc along
these highlands
as well as menb as stated toward the east
& also nhqc along halls stream etc toward the west
& i suppose most significantly prefigured the 1858
menhqc tripoint at the crown monument
per bus&ss p60
as also mentioned here in the last paragraph
http://www.nhptv.org/kn/nh/nhlp2a.htm
& of course as visited here too
http://www.bjbsoftware.com/corners/pointdetail.php3?point=157

looks like this rock could even have been bills model
for the original bp logo

--- Jack Parsell <jparsell@...> wrote:

> Here is an
> interesting old item about the Maine - New Brunswick
> boundary.
>

> Clipping of the Day
>

> Border Wars
> "The Ohio Repository" (Canton, Ohio), 06
> December 1838, page 3:
>
> We learn from Bangor, in Maine, by way of
> Boston, that the commissioners and Engineer
> appointed by Gov. Kent to explore the disputed
> territory, and, if possible, to ascertain the true
> boundary line between Maine and New Brunswick, or,
> in other words, our Northeastern Boundary, arrived
> at the former place on Monday last, and that their
> efforts have been crowned with complete success.
>
> The great problem to be solved was, to
> ascertain the exact location of the "highlands"
> between the waters emptying on the one side into the
> river St. Lawrence, and on the other into the
> Atlantic Ocean. The British diplomatists have denied
> that there were any such highlands in the
> contemplated regions. It is stated that the
> commissioners have not only ascertained that there
> are such highlands, but that they rise in some
> places into mountains; and that they have, moreover,
> discovered the boundary line itself, as marked out
> by the commissioners under the treaty of 1783, and
> all the monuments established at that time to fix
> the line.
>
> This information, if, as it is supposed by
> Eastern editors, it will lead to the settlement at
> once of the controversy between the United S. and
> Great Britain on this subject, is not less welcome
> than important.-- Nat. Int.

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com