Subject: Re: a tripointing puzzle joke
Date: Nov 22, 2005 @ 18:21
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

intertwingling coming up please thanx

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@m...>
wrote:

> I think that 400 feet is fairly accurate for the house on the west side of the
> road near the red dot in the road produced by TerraServer from the Rentons'
> street address. However, it is possible that the Renton home is a newer one not
> on the map, across the road on the east, and much closer to the mapped line.

yes i want to believe this

in fact i want to believe it is set way back from the road

& that their bedroom is way in the back of the house besides
hahaha

so like how many feet at the outside do you think we might reasonably be able to whack
off of those 400 if we really had to

> Didn't the article say that the surveyor had recovered some old forgotten stones
> or markers?

indeed
lost markers plural
& i have counted with confidence only up to 2 so far

Perhaps the maps show a long geodesic where the actual originally
> surveyed line (now recovered) is a somewhat imperfect one hopping from stone to
> stone.

do you mean the straight line we think we see on the maps is actually a series of slight
wiggles
well perhaps so
but i still havent surely counted past the 2 terminal markers that would be necessary for a
single geodesic segment

lost & found markers being generally rather scarce i mean

That could account for a few houses one way and a few the other without
> any wholesale transplant of the entire line and its two termini. Is this what
> you meant by your suggestion that the single-line theory might bite the dust
> first of all?

yes but happily it still lives in my mind
& your revised minimum plausible measurement could promote it dramatically

thanx