Subject: Re: 1806 bavaria coburg meinengen tripoint now looking like de2byth near plesten
Date: Nov 22, 2005 @ 01:45
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

oops
the encarta still needs to be zoomed in but it works ok
thanx

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, aletheia kallos <aletheiak@y...> wrote:

> wolfgang & or anyone else who is trying to get this
>
> let me try to be clearer because i believe there has
> been a breakthru now
>
> please compare the 2 tricolor tripoints you have
> selected due west & due east of coburg here
> http://www.ieg-maps.uni-mainz.de/gif/71th_a4.htm
> with the same locations on any modern map of the
> bavaria thuringia state line
> such as hopefully this one if it works or better
> http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/MapCenter/Map.aspx?
TextLatitude=39.45&TextLongitude=
-98.907&TextAltitude=0&TextSelectedEntity=39070&SearchEnc=false&MapStyle=Compre
hensive&MapSize=Small&MapStyleSelectedIndex=0&searchTextMap=germany&MapStylesL
ist=Comprehensive&ZoomOnMapClickCheck=on

> but of course preferably use as fine a map as possible
> & certainly with modern subdivisional entities & their
> borders included if possible
> since they could give just the final clues that are
> needed to identify this as a living tripoint
> if it still is one
>

> now the bavaria thuringia border may not be entirely
> the same as the coburg meinengen border
> but these 2 bavaria coburg meinengen tripoints & their
> vicinities dont look any different on both those
> borders actually from 1848 to 2005
> so far as i have been able to discern
> & so
> all else being equal
> i agree
> go either east or west from coburg
>

> but in fact according to this 1812 map
> http://www.ieg-maps.uni-mainz.de/gif/p812d_a3_mb.gif
> only the tripoint to the east of coburg is looking
> very likely to have been any kind of a bavaria
> tripoint as early as 1806
>

> this location btw appears to be at or very near a
> place called plesten
> with byth again hopefully indicated as a dashed line
> here
> http://multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?
client=public&X=1243750&Y=6460000&width=700&height=400&gride=&gridn=&srec=0
&coordsys=mercator&db=DE&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&local=&localinf
osel=&kw=&inmap=&table=&ovtype=&zm=0&in.x=6&in.y=6&scale=50000