Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] theory of enclaves and exclaves
Date: Nov 20, 2005 @ 16:48
Author: Arne Schulz ("Arne Schulz" <wertkauf@...>)

Hi Evgeny,

I just read your Chapter 2 and want to add some little things.
First of all i want to ask you, if you can link my site www.enklave.de.vu
instead of the old site at http://www.8ung.at/enklaven/Index.htm when you
talk about the Claridge Hotel. The old site is not reachable anymore.

Then I want to add some cases:

- Between USA and Canada you can find between Vermont and Quebec the tiny
place of Province Point, that belongs to the USA, but is only reachable by
boat, as its the end of a peninsula, thats "cut" by the border.
http://www.freewebtown.com/malcik/Frames/province.htm

- an interesting situation can be found on the border between USA and Canada
near Campobello Island. This Island belongs to Canada, but is connected by a
bridge to the USA. So you can reach it by car only from the USA
http://www.freewebtown.com/malcik/Frames/campobello.htm

- Between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland you can find
interesting situation close to Drumully. There is a Pene-enclave, that
belongs to Republic of Ireland, inside this territory there are some more
cases of pene-enclaves, that belong to Republic of Ireland, but are
accessible by car only from Northern Ireland. You can see this on my page at
http://www.freewebtown.com/malcik/Frames/drumully.htm

- the spanish - moroccian cases beside Ceuta and Melilla are all islands,
without Penon de Velez de la Gomera. This was an island, but now is
connected to Morocco, becoming a real Spanish exclave and showing the only
real Spanish-Moroccian border (because Ceuta and Melilla are surrounded by
neutral territory). Beside this it seems to be the shortest border between
two different countries.
Maybe Ifni will be of interest.
http://www.freewebtown.com/malcik/Frames/spanien%20in%20afrika.htm
http://www.freewebtown.com/malcik/Frames/velez.htm
http://www.freewebtown.com/malcik/Frames/ifni.htm

- maybe you could take the situation of Palestine and the different zones in
western jordan region.
http://www.freewebtown.com/malcik/Frames/pal%E4stina.htm

- on the north-western end of Togo you can find a semi-enclave, that belongs
to Togo, but is only accessible by Upper Volta
http://www.freewebtown.com/malcik/Frames/togo-eck.htm

- between USA and Mexico you could find until the early 70ies Rio Rico or
Horcon tract, a piece of land south of the Rio Grande (that builds the
border) belonging to the USA.
http://www.freewebtown.com/malcik/Frames/rio-rico.htm#

- something similar to the Claridge hotel happened to the Civic Clinic in
Ottawa, when it became short time Dutch territory because of the birth of
Princess Margaret. Otherwise this member of royal Dutch family automatically
had become Canadian... http://www.freewebtown.com/malcik/Frames/Claridge.htm

- only one more case of innerstate enclaves from Germany between Hessen and
Baden-Württemberg. Its close to Oberlaudenbach. There you can even find a
counter-enclave and two "normal" enclaves, one in Hessen and one in BW.
http://www.freewebtown.com/malcik/Frames/oberlaudenbach.htm

Its a good work you did, i learned a lot more, thanks for your searches.
Regards, Chris Schulz