Subject: RE: [BoundaryPoint] revised prefectural punctoscopy of japan thanxx again especially to hugh & henry
Date: Nov 18, 2005 @ 13:32
Author: Hugh Wallis ("Hugh Wallis" <hugh@...>)

Thanks

A couple of addtional details/clarifications that might help those interested enough to wade through this

1. >>are or were also provincial tripoint peaks or mikuni<< - I don't think you are intending to imply that "provincial tripoint peaks" and "mikuni" are synonymous - "mikuni" means literally "3 countries" and so can be applied to any tripoint, peak or not I believe.

2. Also, the list you have provided are all of current tripoints. It is the list at http://www.glin.jp/nam/mikuni.html which also contains points that were mikuni in the Edo era but no longer are - see http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BoundaryPoint/message/18393 (where, I notice, it doesn't render the Kanji charactes correctly :(  ) for more detailed explanation - and so I don't think the word "were" is needed

3. I have independently cross referenced the list below to the list at http://www.glin.jp/nam/mikuni.html - and there appear to be two omissions in your list below - namely

gmnnni >
> 10 gumma 26 nagano 29 niigata - is item45
sttkyn >
> 34 saitama 40 tokyo 46 yamanashi - is item7

On your last question "were you aware of being at a provincial tripoint peak or mikuni" I'm not sure what you are trying to get at - sure I was aware of it - that's why I went there in the first place :) But I don't think that is what you really meant - hehehe

As I posted in my report, there were a number of signs around indicating it was a "Mikuni" - in fact the hill itself is called "Mikuni Mountain" (in Japanese of course) as you can observe from the signs I photographed. I just noticed that I had not included photos of two additional signs that were at the top of the hill, at the Mikuni point, - my page at http://tinyurl.com/9gzsz has now been updated with these two additional photos. http://tinyurl.com/alw2o is especially detailed. I'm not sure what the other one is saying (maybe "Don't jump off the cliff" - I don't know!!)

Hope this helps

Cheers

Hugh