Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: China-Afghanistan
Date: Nov 01, 2005 @ 12:17
Author: Richard Lam ("Richard Lam" <richardlam11@...>)

It appears that such a trip would not be a simple undertaking.

Chinese websites says that researchers who have been near the area say that the area is inaccessible to motor vehicles (ie there are no motorable roads), the only means of transport are on foot or by means of animals (cattle, horse). Even border patrol circuit consist of a route that is 30km long (which typically end at the mountain pass). They say that snow makes up much of the landscape. They also say that the more conventional route into Afghanistan is actually via a mountain pass on the Chinese - Pakistan border.

I do remember watching a TV documentary about the silk route many years ago and there was a shot of the border pillar. I even remember seeing the two Chinese character that made up the word ' China'. If I remember well, the landscape was desolate.

Richard