Subject: Re: China - Afghanistan
Date: Oct 30, 2005 @ 17:50
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

thanx again richard
& i didnt mean to space this out in all the recent excitement
but i have fairly positively identified your tokmansu pass
as the tegermensu pass that is shown on the first of the soviet topos linked below
in view of its nearly perfect match to your name
& to your geocoords at least within minutes
& to your elevation give or take 70 meters

also found your south vakanki pass btw on the other of these topos
written as south vakhdzhir pass in russian
hence presumably also the same as south wakhjir pass or daban in the english version of
the treaty
for whatever that may be worth

but tokmansu is the one that is situated only a couple of km down the afcn ridge line from
the afcntj tripoint near the summit of mount povalo shveikovski
hence likely the most viable access route to the tripoint itself
making it well worth our mutual effort to have ascertained

also i gather from your remarks that the chinese text is just as confusing as the english
text is in specifying the peaks or summits of mountains for the afcntj & afcnpk tripoints
while clearly placing these points on the mustagh ridge line well below these summits

perhaps english & chinese both allow a peak to be more than just a summit point
& to include the entire neighborhood of the summit point
or even the entire mountain

or perhaps there is something wrong with the treaty language in all languages

but anyway i would agree that the question of whether these tripoints are marked is still
not conclusively resolved

& at least the cntj convergent to afcntj is believed to not be marked at all yet per
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ti.html#Issues

& the cnpk convergent to afcnpk was looking likely to have been marked as of
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BoundaryPoint/message/16547
as you suggest in the end also