Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] China - Afghanistan
Date: Oct 27, 2005 @ 14:39
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)

thanx very much richard for all of this
& please see my inserted comment & question below

http://www.fmprc.gov.cn/chn/wjb/zzjg/yzs/gjlb/1206/1207/t5466.htm

http://lib.fortunespace.net/Article/HTML/110259.shtml
> While the Chinese
> version of Article 2 merely states that the two
> countries shall determine
> where border markers ae to be located, the Afghan
> version of Article 2
> states that five border markers (numbered 1 to 5)
> will be erected at four
> mountain passes along the common border.
>
> Article 3(1) states that border markers shall be
> made of concrete, with a
> height of 215cm (only 165 cm to be above ground
> surface). The border marker
> will encase a steel rod of 80cm length, 1.5cm
> diameter)
> Article 3(2) Border markers shall contain the
> country names, year of its
> erection and the number of the marker. On the side
> facing China, the marker
> shall be inscribed 'China' in Chinese followed by
> the marker number and year
> of erection (in AD) in Arabic numerals. On the side
> facing Afghanistan,
> shall be inscribed 'Afghnistan' in Farsi followed by
> marker number and year
> of erection (according to Afghan calendar) in Farsi.
>
> What follows is a detailed description on where each
> of the boundary markers
> are to be located. It appears that all of them are
> located well above
> 5000meters asl and all the markers are accompanied
> by subsidiary markers on
> both sides of the border.
>
> According to Google cache of China Law info website

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:Qj-VLIzGtYIJ:chinalawinfo.com/xin/disztxw

asp%3Fbj%3D1%26code1%3D184%26mark%3D2592+%E4%B8%AD%E9%98%BF%E8%BE%B9%E5%A2%
> 83&hl=zh-CN
> China has two sentry posts along the China -Afghan
> border located at
> Tokmansu and Keketruk pass. The tripoint with
> Pakistan is located on top of
> a mountain at 5630metres asl. The website also notes
> five border markers
> along this stretch of the border.

& the english version beginning on page 3 here
http://www.law.fsu.edu/library/collection/LimitsinSeas/IBS089.pdf
mentions there are also maps that show the marker
positions too

but since you mention 4 of the 5 markers are at passes
& the soviet topos show 5 named passes in all
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu:8085/tajikistan/100k/10-43-102.jpg
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu:8085/tajikistan/100k/10-43-101.jpg
tho not necessarily either of the 2 you named
& since i think you mentioned as many as 7 passes in
an earlier post
i have to wonder where the fifth marker might be
if not at the 5th pass
or some other unknown pass

perhaps at a tripoint

so from either of these detailed descriptions or by
whatever means
can you or anyone confirm if either of the afcnpk or
afcntj tripoints is actually marked
whether by any of these 5 or any other markers

http://www.huash.com/gb/hscb/2004-08/24/content_1211581.htm