Subject: Re: [borderpoint] Quadripoints?
Date: Oct 22, 2005 @ 06:18
Author: jim van dura (jim van dura <jimvandura@...>)
Prev    Post in Topic    Next
Prev    Post in Time    Next

Hi! The Great African Quadriplex of BWNAZMZW is not
clearly defined as a single geodetic point the way the
"Boundary Crosses" at Baarle (BENLBENL) and Jungholz
(ATDEATDE) evidently both are. And this indeterminacy
is due to the fact that only one of its four
converging borders (NAZM) has a fixed terminal point
(with which none of the other three necessarily
agrees), and also because two of these (BWNA and ZMZW)
don't stand still but fluctuate -- with the fairway
and midway, respectively, of rivers. The fourth (BWZW)
has a fixed if somewhat derelict alignment, but again
no definite terminal point. The result of all this
incompatibility and shiftiness is that these four
generally converging borders don't even necessarily
all close -- or else they may overlap impossibly at
times, depending on how the rivers are flowing. But it
is probably most nearly and usually correct to think
in terms of two very close tripoints here than a
single quadripoint. And my guess is that these
tripoints are more likely to be BWNAZM and BWZMZW than
NAZMZW and BWNAZW; and the variable distance
separating them, whichever and wherever they happen to
be at any given moment, is more likely to be
measurable in meters than in kilometers. But I don't
believe there is any reason to believe there is, or
ever was or will be, a BWNAZMZW quadripoint.
Vriendelijke groet, Jimi

(http://www.grenspalen.nl/archief/baarle-nassau-in-english.html):