Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] slight correction Re: The Journal of Andrew Ellicott
Date: Oct 14, 2005 @ 22:40
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

I did not photocopy Ellicott's strip maps all the way to the Chattahoochee, but
I did copy them all the way to the Pearl. His first encounter with the Pearl is
shown as just over 106 mounds from point D. That is exactly how far I determine
it to be on two different maps.

If the count is off at the Chattahoochee, it might possibly be that the reason
has more to do with the following than with a standard mile of different length:
Perhaps a mile would occasionally fall in the middle of a stream or other
similarly inhospitable site for mounding. In such cases, it might have been
thought best to build the mound beyond the obstacle, say so in the field notes,
and resume the measured miles from there.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA