Subject: Re: [borderpoint] Various border documents for my 7 year honeymoon trip
Date: Sep 17, 2005 @ 19:06
Author: jim van dura (jim van dura <jimvandura@...>)

--- Jesper Nielsen <jesniel@...> wrote:

> From Ewan Anderson's International Boundaries I
> found this list for
>

> FRMC: Boundary Unchanged since its establishment in
> 1070
>
> ITSM: Congress of Vienna (1797), Treaty of
> Friendship between Italy and San
> Marino (1862)
>
> ESGB: Peace Treaty of Utrecht (1713) came under
> British rule and
> subsequently confirmed by Treaty of Seville (1729)
> ,Treaty of Vienna (1731),
> Treaty of Aix-le-Chapelle (1756), Treaty of Paris
> (1736), Treaty of
> Versailles (1983) confirmed all these Treaties
>
> ESMO: No international agreements
>

> Well, FRMC and ITSM will only be visited on the
> trip, but typically me I
> will comment on the above documents before further
> research.
>

> It's remarkable that Spain is unhappy about
> Gibraltar since so many
> documents seem to confirm the border.

Why? Who said signing a treaty makes a country happy?
:-)

> Ceuta and Melilla: Who established the zeutral zones
> around the coastal
> fragments? Spain or Morocco, and what is the
> function?

As you say, there are no ESMO border agreements. And
that means theirs are de facto, rather than de jure,
borders ... or rather, de facto frontiers really
(rather than borders at all perhaps). And the neutral
zones or "no man's lands" between the ES and MO
positions reflect and preserve only an ongoing
military standoff, rather than any subsequent
diplomatic arrangements. But in the case of the ES and
GB neutral zone, diplomatic agreements have
perpetuated former military positions, while also
demilitarizing them. In every case, though, the
function of all such territorial offsets is basically
just safety and/or security, and the happiest borders
tend not to have them at all.

> And was there a 1983 Versailles Treaty?

Make that 1783. (Evidently just a typo.)

Congratulations on your lucky 7th, and I hope you will
scratch our itch for some tripointing in San Marino if
not for bathing beauties in Monte!

Best, Jimmy

http://mail.yahoo.com