Subject: Re: answer to extra credit question
Date: Jul 31, 2005 @ 19:07
Author: Martin Pratt ("Martin Pratt" <m.a.pratt@...>)

Thought the following news report might interest those of you who have
been musing on the boundaries of the BVI recently.

I have actually been staying in the BVI for the last month. For the
last week there has been wild partying in the streets of Road Town,
but it turns out most people were celebrating the emancipation of the
island from slavery in 1834, and not the establishment of a maritime
boundary with Anguilla as I first assumed.

m a r t i n

BVI and Anguilla establish territories' marine boundary By ANGELA
BURNS-PIPER Tuesday, July 12th 2005
http://www.virginislandsdailynews.com/index.pl/article_home?id=6742978

TORTOLA - The British Virgin Islands and Anguilla have established a
maritime boundary between the two territories.

BVI Gov. Thomas Macan and Anguilla leader Allan Huckle each issued
proclamations Monday on the boundary.

The boundary first was agreed to in 2002, following negotiations
dating to 1991 between the governments of Anguilla and the British
Virgin Islands. The talks were facilitated by the United Kingdom's
Hydrographic Office and Foreign and Commonwealth Office, which
provided technical and legal advice.

The initial delay during the negotiations was caused by a disagreement
over the consideration of Sombrero Island in determining the boundary.

Anguilla wanted 100 percent weight given to Sombrero when calculating
the boundary, but the British Virgin Islands wanted 50 percent of the
island to count toward the boundary while adding White Horse to the mix.

White Horse is an uninhabited coral rock standing 3 feet above the
high-water mark on Horseshoe Reef, south of Anegada. Sombrero is a
94-acre island that in the past contained a manned lighthouse and was
a phosphate mining site.

The new boundary replaces the median line, used on a provisional basis
when Anguilla and the British Virgin Islands established their fishery
zones.

The U.N. Secretary General, regional organizations and neighboring
countries will be informed of the new maritime boundary, which
represents a delimitation of the fisheries zone and the continental shelf.

The U.K. government now will take steps to extend the territorial seas
of the British Virgin Islands and Anguilla from three to 12 miles.

- Contact Angela Burns-Piper at 284-494-1291 or e-mail
angelaburnspiper@....