Subject: re everyones land
Date: Jul 25, 2005 @ 21:24
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

some slight corrections

i see now that the high seas northward of 60 south latitude have actually been de jure
everyones land only since 1994
when unclos began kicking in legally at long last
& finally erected at least the beds of the high seas into a human heritage area
tho not at all necessarily these seas themselves nor the air spaces above them
which have evidently remained only de facto everyones land
http://www.un.org/Depts/los/convention_agreements/texts/unclos/part11-2.htm
especially articles 136 & 140 paragraph 1

likewise our everyonese legal grasp on antarctic lands & seas may be no less tenuous
& may not necessarily form such a seamless whole with the unclos human heritage area
insofar as the long supposed de jure foreclosure of territorial sovereignty from antarctica
& the southern ocean is proving far from complete or unanimous
& the antarctic treaty area differs qualitatively too from the unclos area
http://www.geocities.com/enriquearamburu/DERANT/ARTS/artic2.html

so de jure we may be skating on thin ice in places

but de facto we are still walking on water

also
there is evidently a difference of understanding as to whether the high seas begin at the
outer limits of the territorial seas
as exemplified by the geneva treaty of 1958
or whether they dont kick in until the outer limits of the eezs
as in unclos
for example
http://www.vanuatu.usp.ac.fj/courses_masters/LA425_Law_of_the_Sea/
LA425_topic4.html

but i dont think there is any doubt that everyonese sovereignty legally underlies all eezs as
well as everywhere else outside the territorial seas
& no matter if the united nations as our supposed trustees have legally dealt away some of
our best feathers & bedding & blankets to some of their members
for it is still reassuring & even highly gratifying to glance at the globe as a whole & realize
we control the greatest part of it & indeed many times more of it than all the other
countries in the world combined

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@m...>