Subject: everyones land was Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Cyprus - SBA Maritime Boundaries
Date: Jul 24, 2005 @ 03:04
Author: L. A. Nadybal ("L. A. Nadybal" <lnadybal@...>)

Everyone's?
How about landlocked countries? What sovereign interest in the high
seas could have accrued to them over time? The high seas would have
to be an area of no sovereignty if you believe sovereignty is
indivisible.
Can sovereignty be shared between all entities on earth at the same
time without having been divided amongst them?
I think the high seas are no ones' - a ship on the seas carries
sovereignty along with its movement - there is no sovereign right for
Cuna, for example, to prevent the Swiss Navy from plying the high
seas. If it tried to do so from one of it's ships on the high seas,
it would be illegally extending its sovereign powers beyond the ship's
railing to impinge upon another. If, for example, the Cuban's shared
sovereignty with the rest of the world on the high seas, then it could
legally exercize whatever portion of those sovereign rights it felt
possessed to be an agressor and protect them (or take whatever share
of that sovereignty the Swiss possessed in an act of conquest).

If the high seas are "everyone's", we have chaos. Only if it's no
one's, a regime where denial of any legal rights pervades do we have
arm's length distances, clarity and a system where a violation of the
peace is always an impermissible action that cannot be justified by
any assertion of rights whatsoever.

Isn't philosophy neat? Thoughts?

LN