Subject: Re: Russian Lease in Kasakhstan
Date: Jun 08, 2005 @ 03:07
Author: L. A. Nadybal ("L. A. Nadybal" <lnadybal@...>)

I find a big difference. A leased territory is very different from
either a fully sovereign base or a base operated under a status of
forces agreement. There are always interesting questions about
whether "vestigial" areas like these are still sovereign Russian
(exclaves), extraterritorial, occupied by Russia, tolerated until
removed or under a stationing agreement of some sort. Shades of status.

Len

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> Although I haven't seen the agreement, the situation doesn't seem
much different
> from that of vestigial Russian military facilities in a number of
other former
> Soviet republics.
>
> I saw something on the Fox News Channel this week about Baikonur. I
seem to
> remember Russian and Kazakh officials celebrating their friendship and
> cooperation. Perhaps it was a commemoration of the history of the
Kosmodrome.
> The Russian space program must be a significant economic factor in
Kazakhstan.