Subject: Old Insular Affairs verbiage unearthed!
Date: Apr 30, 2005 @ 23:48
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

Mike D. wrote:

> i also noticed that the word
> none
> which appears under
> remaining united states claims
> is not in the original font
> suggesting someone may have quietly monkeyed with this text after the fact

While browsing my hard drive today, I found that on April 20, 1998, I saved
quite a lot of text from the Insular Affairs web site as it then existed! The
site was structured differently back then, but I can give you the language that
formerly appeared where the monkeying bureaucrat subsequently inserted the word
"None." This is also where the dysfunctional "U.S." link should point (and
undoubtedly once did).

Here it is:
_______

OTHER ISLANDS STILL UNDER DISPUTED
UNITED STATES' SOVEREIGNTY

The United States' claim to Serranilla Bank:

About two hundred ten miles north north-east of Nicaragua lies the Serranilla
Bank. Some consider that the United States acquired the bank under the Guano
Islands Act of August 18, 1856 (Title 48, U.S. Code, sections 1411-19). Several
very small cays emerge above the water to form the bank's islands.
Colombia has not directly claimed Serranilla Bank but is on record as
considering the bank a part of the Providence Archipelago in the intendancy of
San Andres y Providencia. Honduras may have asserted its own claim over
Serranilla as well.

The United States' claim to Bajo Nuevo Bank:

Called also the Petrel Islands, Bajo Nuevo Bank is situated in the Caribbean.
U.S. claims to this bank derive from the Guano Islands Act too. Bajo Nuevo is
claimed by Jamaica.
_______

I don't think this tells us anything new, but it fills in the blanks.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA