Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] cabeceras
Date: Apr 25, 2005 @ 17:36
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

De nada.

Here is what I've learned about Cajeme/Ciudad Obregón:

The municipio was created in 1927. The following year, Álvaro Obregón, a Sonora
native who had been President of the republic 1920-1924, was again elected to
the Presidency, but was assassinated before he could take office. State
legislation was quickly passed to change the name of the new municipio to Ciudad
Obregón in his honor. This must not have been universally popular, because in
1937, legislation was passed to restore the name of the municipio to Cajeme and
retain Ciudad Obregón as the name of its cabecera. As such, Ciudad Obregón is a
sizeable city with no local government in its own name. The only local
government there is the Municipio de Cajeme. In that respect, it is very much
like Washington and Mexico City, having no local governments other than the
District of Columbia and the Distrito Federal, respectively.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking about DC and DF, but several American
county equivalents that have consolidated city/county governments might
qualify--the county having one name and the city another.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA