Subject: Re: British External Terrritories and French ones!
Date: Apr 16, 2005 @ 05:05
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Meynell <knm@m...> wrote:

> Unfortunately, I'm not certain of the exact distinction between a
> Territorial Collective and Overseas Territory, and in any case there now
> seem to be additional distinctions. Furthermore, I believe that Corsica is
> also considered a Territorial Collective, although still within
> Metropolitan France.

yikes but why is all that so unfortunate

i would have thought having somewhere left to go & grow on ones quest would be a
compound blessing

in fact wouldnt it be best to prolong the enjoyment of it as much as possible
since the journey is all
isnt it

also
& in that spirit
tho the term external territories is occasionally used in a general sense
albeit somewhat loosely
if not downright erroneously
external territories are in fact officially had & enjoyed
in all the world
o n l y
by australia

by contrast the usa for example seems to have & call her own simply
territories
or else simply
possessions
or sometimes
territorial possessions or insular areas
while the cia factbook & wikipedia call them dependent areas & indeed apply this term not
only to those of the usa & oz but to all others as well
including the british & french overseas territories etc etc

all of which btw wikipedia also calls
dependent territories
i think most comprehensively & sensibly & felicitously
http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of-dependent-territories
since not all overseas nor all supposedly external territories are dependent
for in fact some are as politically integral as the mainland

& for the topological sense of the same term
external territories
i think the term territorial exclaves also cant be improved upon
& confers the extra benefit of calling the question of what is the very best term for
the main unit
in the topolgical sense as well in as the jurisdictional sense

both of which have hitherto not been very seriously considered i think

& may even deserve & require separate & distinct best terms