Subject: Re: British External Terrritories and French ones!
Date: Apr 15, 2005 @ 02:36
Author: L. A. Nadybal ("L. A. Nadybal" <lnadybal@...>)

Interesting list - We could find the definitive lists for all these
countries in the UPU guides to world post offices, but they charge a
lot of money for it.

The list of what belongs to metropolitan France changes with every
government shift - St. Pierre et Miquelon were temporarily
metropolitan France for awhile not too long ago, as were Guadeloupe
and Martinique. These status changes ar ereflected in their stamps -
Guadeloupe was inscribed as the country name when it wasn't
metropolitan France, French stamps from the mother country were used
when it was metro. St. P & M used French motherland stamps in the 70s
or thereabouts, and in the 80s, they started to use French motherland
stamps overprinted with the territory's ID.

So, lists of French overseas dependencies is going to be different
from time to time, depending on the policital winds.

Also, the French-Spanish condominium near the Atlantic coast shouldn't
be forgotten when making such lists.

Regards
Len Nadybal

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Meynell <knm@m...> wrote:

> >And what about the French External territories? there is a complete
list?

> With respect to the French External territories, there are more or less
> three types - Overseas Departments (Départements d'outre-mer),
Territorial
> Collectives (Collectivités territoriales) and Overseas Territories
> (Territoires d'outre mer), although it seems there have recently been
> changes to the latter.
>
> The DOMs are French Guiana, Guadeloupe (including St Martin and St
> Bartelemy), Martinique and Réunion and are considered integral parts of
> France and therefore the EU. However, I believe they are outside of
the VAT
> union.
>
> The Collectivités territoriales are/were St Pierre et Miquelon and
Mayotte.

> The TOMs are/were French Polynesia, New Caledonia, Wallis and Futuna
and
> the French Southern and Antarctic Lands.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm not certain of the exact distinction between a
> Territorial Collective and Overseas Territory, and in any case there
now
> seem to be additional distinctions. Furthermore, I believe that
Corsica is
> also considered a Territorial Collective, although still within
> Metropolitan France.
>
> Finally, there are also the 'Îles Éparses' of Bassas da India, Europa,
> Glorioso, Juan de Nova, and Tromelin which are administered from
Réunion,