Subject: Re: DE-L Condo Tripoints
Date: Apr 02, 2005 @ 17:16
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "L. A. Nadybal" <lnadybal@c...> wrote:

> I took time to follow the entire route of the two parts of the
> condominium from the Luxembourg map site, and found that to the north
> of Vianden, in the northern detached part of the condo territory,
> there is an island.
>
> Near (south of) Wasserbillig, in the southern sector of the condo,
> there appears to be a part of the river that shifted or at low water
> at least, doesn't fill the river bed allocated to it.... the border
> varies a lot in that area from what is shown as "wet".
>
> It's interesting to follow the border lines - especially in the two
> places where there is a confluence of the three rivers that comprise
> the condominium. You tri-pointers would have a ball. One river comes
> in from the west in Luxembourg proper in the northern end and another,
> the Mosel / Moselle comes in from being wholly in Germany in the east.
> The town of Vianden (Lux), being on the east of the river, forces a
> split of the condo into two parts, bercause as the river passses
> Vianden N-S, it's wholly in Luxembourg; each end of the split has it's
> DE-LUX-Condo tripoints, too.
>
> LN

funny i immediately took the same trip myself
& found the aerial pix even better than the topos for spotting islands
but you must also recall our previous balls at these tripoints too in
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BoundaryPoint/message/14582
if not all the antecedent messages referred to in it
& the responses linked beneath them all

quite a load of data there if you or anyone is really interested

or just for the nutshell
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BoundaryPoint/message/5022
first question & answer only

to which i would only add at this point on further reflection
that i think all the condo markers must be indirect or witness monuments
since the legal riverbank limits of the condo are evidently accreting & decreasing every
which way all the time with every change in the levels of the rivers
& that the condo borders are thus in fact not static
as they would have been if the markers were direct
but are always in flux with the actual waterlines on the banks

or isnt that legally & definitively so