Subject: culminating 7point mormon tour of utah
Date: Apr 01, 2005 @ 13:35
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)

yes azut was never very popular with the locals

when the mormons arrived in deseret aka greater salt
lake in 1847
this whole area was still legally mexico as well as
practically empty
& so they quickly fanned out as far as they could in
all directions
& would & could well have controlled as far south as
the grand canyon

but after the usa gained control of most of the
southwest in 1848
& established utah territory in 1850 between the 37th
& 42nd parallels
from the rockies to california
the first of 7 successive reductions to mormon
aspirations had thus already occurred
along what has since become azut

& this was one of the last state lines to be marked
too

indeed most of its 277 mileposts that were finally set
in 1901 are believed to still be just iron pipe stems

my favorite couple of miles of it all tho are
http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=12&n=4095093&e=546207&s=50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

but did you not even find entering or welcome signs
there

--- Kevin Meynell <knm@...> wrote:

> >while of course the fundamentalist burg on azut is
> thematically obligatory
>
> Hmmm.. I drove through there last month. Due to
> limited time and the
> primary goal of visiting the Grand Canyon, the
> boundary/multipoint
> opportunities largely had to be forsaken, but I was
> quite surprised at how
> poorly the UTAZ line was indicated in the border
> towns in this area (e.g.
> Kanab/Fredonia).
>
> Regards,
>
> Kevin Meynell