Subject: AW: [BoundaryPoint] Fwd: So you think you know your 'Borders Of The World'?? This is fun
Date: Mar 27, 2005 @ 16:11
Author: Wolfgang Schaub ("Wolfgang Schaub" <Wolfgang.Schaub@...>)

Rhetorical questions deserve rhetorical answers. Terminology: "Nations" are different from "countries". The old vanished DDR always wanted to be a nation and never was; it was a "country" however.

Recently, where enough time has elapsed since the hiccup in 1989, one may feel what is left in the German "new states" forms a new nation again, besides the official Germany. Wthin Germany, there is the Sorbic nation, just to name a more acceptable example.

Whether Panamá TODAY is a nation is difficult to tell. For me it appears often as if the Spanish-speaking Latin America is one nation. Usually nations form under external pressure when a basis for a common identity is sought. The case of the U.S. is exceptional in that it served as a valve for the suppressed, deprivileged - also this is changing as we see nowadays...

Wolfgang