Subject: Re: Q, the divided island on GRTR
Date: Mar 23, 2005 @ 00:32
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

ok i have checked the text of the treaty of lausanne of 1923
& there is nothing about these bridges in it

so the ibs analysts got their info about the bridges elsewhere

very possibly from the same official 1925 maps they based their
own maps 1 & 2 on

& a data transfer situation like that makes my guess about a
numbering error in transcription quite a good probability

& as if just to underscore how easily such a screw up could
occur
i find i must correct my own recent correction of it itself below
oops
for i see now that the road bridge should actually cross the river
between markers 26 & 27
according to all the other data we have seen
& not between 25 & 26 as i myself just misspoke
nor between 24 & 25 as the ibs says

& finally
getting back to the aerial photo
which showed the island too long & too close to the railroad
bridge
as well as almost or actually attached to the bank
well all that could easily have happened in a time of low water
level
aha

so there are no longer any serious objections to this
identification of island q
& i really do hope you will check it out on the ground now
or at least from one of the bridges or the banks
in view of all the fun already invested in it

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "aletheiak"

http://www.law.fsu.edu/library/collection/LimitsinSeas/IBS041.pdf