Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] huge but forgotten ghost clave rediscovered 1732gb2sc1763
Date: Mar 21, 2005 @ 06:11
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

Mike,

I'd like to have you briefly expound on the true head of the Altamaha River, if
you have ascertained it by any sawanobori on maps.

The pertinent wording of the first Georgia charter of 1732 (per BUS&SS) is:
"...from the most northern part of a stream or river there, commonly called the
Savannah, all along the sea coast to the southward, unto the most southern
stream of a certain other great water or river called the Altamaha, and westerly
from the heads of the said rivers, respectively, in direct lines to the south
seas..."

Note that we need the Altamaha's HEAD, not it's "southernmost source." It is my
interpretation that the words "most southern stream" in the charter refer to the
southernmost of its several MOUTHS among the Sea Islands as one comes "along the
sea coast to the southward."

Thanks.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA