Subject: Re: river condo authority joins denj follies
Date: Mar 16, 2005 @ 20:23
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Flynn, Kevin"
<flynnk@r...> wrote:
> Why do the NJ politicians keep referring to this boundary as an
"anomaly"
> when it has been known since it was set up? I used to work in
Gloucester
> County NJ and we knew about it. It's not very different in
principle from
> the riverbank issues along MDVA.

true but this particular example may only be an encouragement
to the nj pols
since the supremes have so recently ruled in favor of va over md
regarding a water siphoning system that va is extending all the
way out to the middle of the potomac despite the fact that md
which owns the whole river in that case
would not grant permission

& as i think the court may even have observed in that case
it is actually normal for boundary waters to be shared
at least internationally
even tho there are so many riparian state lines in the usa

a dozen or more i think we once counted here
which apparently limit the use of a river by one party or the other
except
for the saving grace
that internal boundaries arent generally as hard edged as
international ones

indeed i think international riparian boundaries must be very rare
& very short wherever they do occur

so i guess it is the experience of striking such a hard edge here
that causes these pols to consider this boundary to be an
anomaly

also
for nj the 12mile arc is an anomaly in & a departure from its
otherwise uninterrupted & normal sharing of the delaware
all the way from njnypa to denjus

in fact i believe denj is the only riverine state line in the usa with 2
different legal regimes determining its course

which must lend some credence to the idea
however misguided
that one regime must be normal & the other anomalous

or at least abnormalous

KYOH or OKTX, is it?

http://www.nj.com/news/sunbeam/index.ssf?/base/news-2/1110
9648
> > 14215190.xml

> > Give the gift of life to a sick child.
> > Support St. Jude Children's Research Hospital's 'Thanks &
Giving.'