Subject: Re: STOP Sign in Northern New Jersey
Date: Mar 15, 2005 @ 02:16
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

handsome & fascinating find mike

& tho further info on this municipality is elusive
its absence from a 1903 topo indicates it is relatively recent
& thus presumably had a fairly accurate border survey

curiously enough tho
the octagon only gives the impression of having a perfectly
cardinal orientation
yet is actually off by several degrees

&
measurements indicate the octagon isnt so nearly equilateral as
it looks either
what with the longest sides being about 200 feet longer than the
shortest

all of which suggests someone may well have tried for but
somehow not quite achieved geometric perfection

but if the powers that were really did want to make the easiest
possible work of an otherwise hard job
as you surmise
then such minor inexactitudes as these come as no great
surprise either

circular municipalities are actually fairly common tho
especially in the postbellum south
nor do they even necessarily require any demarcation
as an examination of plains georgia for example has revealed
http://egroups.com/group/BoundaryPoint/message/1550
http://topozone.com/map.asp?lat=32.03389&lon=-84.39278

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, spookymike@a...
wrote:
> For reasons unknown to me, the Borough of Sussex, in
Sussex County, New
> Jersey, is octagonally shaped. As with many other NJ
boroughs, towns, etc., it is
> completely surrounded by another municpality. Perhaps the
powers what be
> wanted to make a circular borough, but found it easier to
survey the eight