Subject: left v right lobe was europe v siberia & eupen and malmedy
Date: Feb 28, 2005 @ 19:42
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

aletheiak &al

> searching the entire afroeurasian continent with fresh eyes for
> the necks of the greatest apparent protrusions of all
> i am immediately struck by a previously unnoticed but veritable
> waistline
> rather than any mere neckline
> running between the white sea & persian gulf
> which appears to divide the entire land mass roughly equally
into
> 2 such huge & so nearly balanced protrusions that it is hard to
> tell which is the land mass & which the protrusion
>
> call them the asiatic peninsula on the right & the afroeuropean
> peninsula on the left & dont mind that these names are only
> approximately exact & that most of the middle east is
> afroeuropean in this scheme
> rather than asiatic as you might expect
> but just behold them as apparent protrusions so primary &
basic
> that they might rather & quite fairly be called
> the left & right lobes
> of afroeurasia
>
> & it would be to these lobes that i would award the gold & silver
> tho i am not yet sure which lobe is larger & thus would win gold

& while i find i am not equipped to make a definitive judgment of
the comparative land areas of these 2 peninsular lobes
i do have enough data at my disposal to at least perform a crude
trial balance
in thousands of square kilometers anyway
which may or may not be sufficient to distinguish the clear
winner
as follows

left side of scale in ksk
all africa 30065
plus
all europe 9938 less a tenth of russia 1700 leaving 8238
plus
the following 13 countries fully transferred from asia
saudi arabia 1961
yemen 528
oman 212
uae 83
qatar 11
kuwait 18
iraq 432
jordan 92
israel 20
lebanon 10
syria 184
armenia 28
georgia 70
plus
3 estimated fractional countries also added by the waistline
turkey 771 less 5 percent already european 39 leaving 732
azerbaijan 86 less a quarter 22 leaving 64
iran 1636 less 85 percent or 1391 leaving 245
totaling 42993 ksk

& on right side of the scale in ksk
all asia 44579 less 16 deductions above 4690 leaving 39889
plus a tenth of russia 1700
totaling 41589 ksk

hmm
so the balance does appear to fall to the afroeuropean lobe
& tho this 1400 ksk edge is still not quite a 51 to 49 margin
all land area has been fully accounted for down to within a
minuscule margin of 10 ksk
& tho i could have made a mistake somewhere
i doubt anyone will ever care enough to try to improved on this

so unless the crowd objects or has anything to add or subtract
it is gold for the afroeuropean & silver for the asiatic
& we keep the bronze for ourselves