Subject: europe v siberia was Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: eupen and malmedy
Date: Feb 27, 2005 @ 20:08
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)

since the best available opinion on the true extent of
the siberian peninsula is still not yet available
i have contented myself for the moment with getting
the best available opinion on the true extent of
siberia per se
or greater siberia if you will
thinking that with this data in hand i myself could
then serve in the capacity of the absent minded
professor interpolator of the true geographic extent
of the true siberian peninsula within a greater best
available siberia
just as the peninsula professor has interpolated the
true geographic extent of the european peninsula
within a greater best available europe

& it just so happens that the same best available
opinion that says greater europe begins & ends at the
ural mountains also says that greater siberia begins &
ends at the ural mountains too
hahahahaha
so europe & siberia are actually not only neighbors &
classmates but are actually squared off back to back
in this duel for second place silver in our old world
peninsular olympics

& tho some if not all the best sources say siberia
extends into kazakhstan a bit
all at least agree siberia includes all of russia west
of the urals & doesnt extend into mongolia or china at
all

therefore i sought initially a maximum possible
siberian peninsular neck
by running a great circle arc directly from the
coastal indentation at vladivostok to a corresponding
indentation at the mouth of the nadym river in the
gulf of ob

but such a maxi siberian peninsula as this
whatever else one might say for or against it
would cut off & include within itself a huge chunk of
manchuria
& that apparently cannot semantically be

nor do i imagine such a manchurian lump can very well
exist any more than it can very well not exist on the
neck of a siberian peninsula

both of which inconvenient facts together
in my mind at least
thus completely bust this maxi neck probability &
force me to fall back from vladivostok to the next
available indentation up the coast
which is at chumikan on the udskaya guba

& a direct line from there to the mouth of the nadym
whatever else one might say for or against that
would at least have the virtue of cutting off a
greatest possible entirely siberian peninsula
even if not a very recognizably peninsular one

for if the instant recognizability of the
peninsularity were to become an issue
it is possible such a true siberian peninsula might
thus contract farther still
with the neck terminals on both the arctic ocean & the
sea of okhotsk falling back eastward again
& by degrees perhaps all the way to the neck of
kamchatka
if necessary to satisfy such a requirement

so clearly some consensus of the absent minded might
be desirable in this case
rather than everyone just taking my word for it

but in any case the european peninsular neck isnt so
very noticeable itself on first glance either

so it remains a question how much noticeability should
be required of any siberian peninsula candidate

but if the largest semantically possible siberian
peninsula were allowed to face off against the already
identified & also largest semantically possible
european peninsula
then i think at this point that their comparative
territorial areas might be so nearly the same as to
necessitate a photo finish for the silver & bronze

but in all other eventualities
it looks like europe gets silver & siberia bronze
but especially if the european crowd stays in the game