Subject: Re: AW: [BoundaryPoint] eupen and malmedy
Date: Feb 25, 2005 @ 15:20
Author: Kevin Meynell (Kevin Meynell <knm@...>)

Wolfgang,

>We begin inviting countries to join "the club" that have no European
>identity or that wish to join only because they believe this opens access
>to unlimited funds from Brussels.

The difficulty is defining 'European identity' whatever that is. I know
people who seriously believe that countries with orthodox traditions such
as Greece have no place in the EU, even though Greece is arguably the
cradle of all European civilisation.

>At the same time we do not have the energy to adapt decision processes in
>the community to the requirements of a larger club.

It's very clear that the current decision-making process need to change if
everything isn't to result in stalemate, but the aspirations of some
countries in the EU club is very different to others. Some people would
simply prefer to see cross-border annoyances removed rather than aspire to
being part of some grand United States of Europe.

Regards,

Kevin Meynell