Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] ha alaska claiming 150mile proruption of 3nm state waters
Date: Feb 22, 2005 @ 17:21
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

Okay. I see what you're saying.

The 3-nm state ownership of and jurisdiction over its waters are entirely normal
per the Submerged Lands Act. The wildlife refuge (mostly on land but also
encompassing some tidal areas) is federal property (and therefore subject to
federal management) within the state's jurisdiction. All that makes this
situation unusual is that the coast-length of the refuge, and the resultant
narrowness in proportion to their width of the state-owned waters. Other than
that, the legal situation is identical to that at many other places where
federal property comes down to the shore. Even where the exclusive federal
jurisdiction over land military bases reaches the shore, state ownership of and
jurisdiction over waters beyond continue undisturbed.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA