Subject: WG: [BoundaryPoint] BGGRTR picture - Translated
Date: Feb 21, 2005 @ 11:31
Author: Wolfgang Schaub ("Wolfgang Schaub" <Wolfgang.Schaub@...>)

The full translation of the Edirne article as follows:

"The Island of Friendship on the border of Greece, Turkey and Bulgaria

The Bulgarian General consul Georgi Dimov informed in Edirne, that a
memorial will be erected on the Poplar Island in the Meric River where the
Turk, Greek and Bulgarian flags will flow. Dimov said that half of the
Poplar Island is Turk and the other half Greek and Bulgarian territory,
respectively. Bulgarian consul Dimov underlined how important the course of
the borders of the three countries is on the island and added: 'The island
was visited and investigated last week by Secretary of State Besir Atalay
and the Bulgarian Minister of Foreign Affairs Solomon Pasi. The Island will
contribute to the promotion of friendship and solidarity. Still there are
border monuments on the island with the three national flags. By using EU
funds a new monument shall be erected here measuring 2 - 2.5 metres. The
memorial shall signify peace on the Balkans and solidarity within the EU.
Foreign minister Pasi has instructed the Provincial Gouvernor of Hoskova to
erect the memorial. Surveying the site has begun.' Moreover, Dimov informed
that work on the memorial will start shortly and will be completed in
April."

("3 monuments with 3 national flags": I guess what it means is: there are
still border monuments on the island pertaining to the 3 countries - we will
get rid of those and replace these by a 'common' monument.)

Happy sniffing locally.

Wolfgang