Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Sandy Schenck Speaks!
Date: Feb 16, 2005 @ 18:01
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)

nice going

& please look for several specific comments inserted

--- "Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...> wrote:

> Below is the reply sent early this morning by Mr.
> William S. Schenck of the
> Delaware Geological Survey in answer to my inquiry
> regarding the
> under-measurement of the twelve-mile arc at its
> lower crossing of the Delaware
> River.
>
> The figure from the Perry article to which he refers
> can be found at this direct
> link:
> http://www.udel.edu/dgs/graphics/IS06FIG2.jpg .

great
& now everyone can see what a
must read
this article is
for any of these arc questions

you can even see the 180th rock position at point e
& the 3 distinct arc center points
as well as the several distinct arc swipes

> The answer as a whole is not very helpful, but it is
> suggestive that the
> under-measurement is a product of some bizarre
> projection of the DEPA compound
> curve with all of its vicissitudes.

yikes
i dont believe that for a moment
do you
nor am i even sure he suggests it

but perhaps
just perhaps
& this is a similar but new thought
the 1935 undermeasurement could have been created or
justified as a compensation to new jersey for the
overmeasurement in 1701

> I am still of
> the opinion that the
> rationale will be found in the report of the Special
> Master.

yes great
& glad to learn you agree here
but how do we find it
especially as all this has probably been locked up &
the key thrown away so nobody can even hope to violate
the injunction & challenge the judgment

> Lowell G. McManus
> Leesville, Louisiana, USA

yikes
this is news to me as well as contrary to perry
who gives a constant & distinct radius for each of the
2 distinct depa curves

> The reason for the
> > compound curves is that the 1701 survey of the
> line had problems with their
> > chains getting worn and longer and longer as they
> progresses from west to
> > east. At DE-PA #10 they made a correction and you
> can actually see that is
> > the line today.

hmm
there may be some truth to this statement
& i will suspend judgment til i do see it
but i surmise he is confusing several things here

& i am also in the process of checking the distance of
all the depa arc stones from the old new castle county
courthouse spire
so we should soon be able to see just how true the
statement really is

in the meantime however
perry says & shows in another diagram how it was
graham in 1850 who caused the foreshortening of the
western half of the depa arc that originally extended
from demdpa to point e in the above diagram
down to the present depa arc terminus about a mile
east of demdpa

end inserts

http://www.udel.edu/dgs/Publications/pubsonline/info6.html