Subject: RE: [BoundaryPoint] The greater picture
Date: Feb 16, 2005 @ 13:42
Author: Shankland(Train) ("Shankland\(Train\)" <shankland@...>)

Hi Wolfgang,

Interesting thought but I doubt that it could ever happen. The constitution etc was very adamant and the feelings very strong to maintain the separation of States and the federal government.

In addition many of the states are extremely culturally different from each other (not including N and S Dakota). I would suggest that is similar to the difference (other than language) Between Germany and Austria or England.

Alabama and California could never mix.

Euro will never be a single country. Imagine forcing the English to drive on the right or Germans to drive on the left.

I would also suggest that many of the government programs or services are complimentary each providing a piece of the service and not being a duplication.

The Fed provides Interstate Highways and the States local roads. Not a duplication. If the Feds took it over they would have to hire the States engineers anyway.

John