Subject: Re: yikes more bits of left bank delaware found
Date: Feb 13, 2005 @ 22:09
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

thanxx
your complements & specific aspersion dispersions are all very
well taken indeed
tho i am still accepting of lens aspersions here generally

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> After reading Len's message, and before reaching Mike's
answer, I consulted a
> large map in my collection that was issued by the DC
government in 1976. I was
> about to say that it shows the boundary taking an abrupt jog out
into the river
> from Second Street, Alexandria, to Jones Point. Now, from
Mike, we know why.

> I agree that many maps deserve aspersions. However, the
DENJ boundary is
> supposed to run along the natural low-water line, any artificial
fills, islands,
> spoil banks, jetties, piers, etc. notwithstanding. We see
artificial lands that
> do not affect the boundary, and this whole discussion stated
about a dock that
> New Jersey wants to build into Delaware, but Delaware won't
permit. Why would a
> jetty require the boundary to change outward around it? The
jetty in question
> seems to be of timber, rather than earth or rock, and most of it
is missing in
> the aerial photo. It probably long since washed away.
>
> Lowell G. McManus
> Leesville, Louisiana, USA

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=11&Z=18&X
=807&Y=10737&W=3&qs=%7cWashington%7cDC%7c

> >> It's an image of ones Point, at the southern tip of
> >> DC. The border
> >> marker that is actually on the shore is not the
> >> start of the
> >> northbound DC VA border - which the map by the same
> >> organization shows
> >> as being at least 20 feet into the Potomac. The
> >> cession of this part
> >> of DC in the 1850s to VA stipulated that the Potomac
> >> shore was the
> >> border, not that it lies some line 20 feet out into
> >> the water.
> >
> > but this offshore bit of dcva here isnt about that
> >
> > & notice it is more like 150 feet than 20 feet out
> >
> > rather this bit is 20th century
> > i am pretty sure
> >
> > per bus&ss
> > & 59 stat 552
> > from the intersection of the high water line & the
> > center line of second street in alexandria extended
> > the dcva boundary follows the established pierhead
> > line to the corner common to dc&md&va
> >
> > but anyway thats what thats about
> > whenever it actually went down
> > & it looks exactly right to me on your map too
> >
> > i have been there & eyeballed the pierheads
> > & am completely satisfied with the usgs rendition of
> > this all the way to & including dcmdvas
> >
> > so youll have to cast your aspersions more in general
> > rather than in this particular case
> >
> > but they are aspersions well taken
> >

> > In the
> >> last two years, condos have been built on stilts
> >> over the water in
> >> Alexandria - and I've been wondering why these
> >> owners pay taxes to
> >> Virginia. There are some little bays where waters
> >> of the
> >> Potomacappear to be Virginia shoreline, but I've not
> >> bee able to find
> >> authoritative maps showing the official border at
> >> these places. It's
> >> also open as to how far up a river or stream that
> >> empties into the
> >> Potomac DC territory extends (i.e., where the
> >> "shoreline" actually is
> >> when it's under water between the Potomac and the
> >> point, wherever it
> >> is, that some stream actually "ends" once it's
> >> waters actually reach
> >> the Potomac).
> >> The same applies to this section of the DE-NJ
> >> shoreline borders.
> >>

> >> LN
> >>

> >> LN
> >>

> >> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G.
> >> McManus"
> >> running onto the
> >> first of these from the south-southeast is named
> >> "Ferry Road." This
> >> suggests that the squarish fill was formerly a ferry
> >> landing. It is
> >> almost directly across the estuary from New Castle.

> >> Delaware slightly
> >> upriver from this point. See

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=12&Z=18&X
=568&Y=5487&W=3