Subject: killcohook & still less
Date: Feb 11, 2005 @ 22:59
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "aletheiak"
<aletheiak@y...> wrote:

> interestingly
> this lesser bit of rive gauche delaware was not the direct result
of
> such an avulsion as killcohook was
>
> nor could accretion ever create any left bank delaware either
>
> rather it was merely an accident of the belated backswing
> following the 1934 supreme court decision
> of the same 12mile new castle arc that has caused delaware
> have a round top since 1683
>
> & it is precisely upon this lesser of the 2 dry denj segments
that
> denj shifts from the jersey shore to midchannel
> along this recent sequel to that ancient arc
> cutting off a preexisting but artificial protruding tongue of land
>
> a very funny thing
> & it all seems to have just happened by chance
>
> yet this sweep of 12mile arc was in fact badly mismeasured
>
> it would be a good topic in itself for further research

& here is some already

in item 4 of
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=us&vol=2
95&invol=694
the 7th numbered bound confirms my discovery
made long ago by direct measurement of the paper topos
that the actual radius of this 1934 aftersweep of the original
12mile new castle arc
measures not 12 miles at all
but only some 59764 feet
or in other words 11 miles & about 1684 feet
& is thus for some as yet unexplained reason about 3596 feet
too short

seeking an explanation in the original judgment of 1934 that
ordered the survey that made the measurement
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=us&vol=2
91&invol=361
i found none
tho there is incidentally an awfully interesting legal discussion
there of the tension that has historically existed between the
midriver & thalweg principles
dating all the way back to freakin tacitus

but my original questions remain

how could such a flagrant mistake have been made in the first
place
& how could it then have been accepted by the special master &
ultimately by the supreme court at large
all of whom must have known full well there are 5280 feet in a
mile

did everyone just assume & not bother to check the arithmetic

other markers i have seen in this series
especially number 1
appear to have been installed so haphazardly that there is a real
question in my mind about the basic competency & diligence of
the surveyors
& indeed of everyone involved

but that is as far as i have been able to take it so far

does anyone have any ideas

> the artificial island obviously predates the 1934 demarcation
> http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=39.49917&lon=-75.54
> & please zoom out from there to get your bearings if necessary
>
> i couldnt find denj marker artificial 6
> tho i did find several of its mates
>
> of course i had to sneak in & out so it was kind of touch & go
>
> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "aletheiak"
> <aletheiak@y...> wrote:
> >
> > ron
> >
> > > Some of you in the USA may be aware that
> > > a little piece of land connected to New Jersey
> > > extends out into the Delaware River
> > > into the territory the state of Delaware.
> >
> > indeed

etc