Subject: Re: Russia Extremes (and relation to 180 Meridien)
Date: Feb 10, 2005 @ 21:33
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

roger
i can confirm from my 250k scale radar image mosaic map of
the rat islands
a personal favorite of mine btw
that semisopochnoi island is less than 10 miles from longitude
180 & thus certainly projects sufficient american territorial waters
to make 180 both the easternmost & westernmost longitude
within american sovereign territory
without any need to invoke the additional overlap of the
somewhat less sovereign but still american & still exclusive
economic zone

also fyi this map shows semisopochnoi or some nearby rocks
extending as far east as east longitude 179d 46m 22s

& my 250k scale map of amatignak island shows some rocks
west of its westernmost point too
perhaps as far west as west longitude 179d 6m 50s

& from topozone of all places i have been able to crib a probably
fairly reliable reading on dry rue
aka the easternmost point on big diomede island
namely west longitude 168d 59m 58s
& news that it now appears only about 1088 meters from wet rue

but since i am not sure how reliable these topozone data are
it remains to check them with a great circle distance calculator

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "aletheiak"
<aletheiak@y...> wrote:

> the map at the end of this official but as yet unratified treaty
> http://russia.shaps.hawaii.edu/fp/us/agree.html
> gives west longitude 168deg 58min 37sec as wet rue
> aka the easternmost extremity of russian territorial waters
> but it is based on a fully ratified 1867 treaty
> so i presume it is correct & effective
>
> that is absolute rue too
>
> & dry rue
> aka the easternmost point of dry land in russia
> is about 1500 meters west of that
> on the easternmost point of big diomede island
>
> but i could only approximate the longitude for that
> if you still want it anyway
>
> & please see 1 insert below
>
> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Roger_Rowlett"
> <roger.rowlett@a...> wrote:
> >
> > I'm a lurker in this group.
> >
> > But I was curious if anybody has the exact coordinates for the
> > geographic extremes for Russia since it straddles the 180
> Meridien.
> >
> > The United States has "through the looking glass" extremes
> because
> > the Aleutians in Alaska straddle the Meridien (in which
Alaska
> has
> > the North, East and West geographic extremes for the U.S.)
> >

> > West Point on Amatignak Island at 179° 06' 31" west is
> considered
> > the extreme west point of the U.S.
> >
> > Pochnoi Point on Semisopochnoi Island has coordinates of
> 179° 46'
> > East is only 70 miles WEST of Amatignak but it gets the East
> > designation.
>
> again a distinction could be made between wet & dry
>
> the easternmost & westernmost points of the usa actually
> converge further
> if you mean to include the american territorial waters
> &or the american eezs
>
> technically the easternmost & westernmost points of the usa
are
> both at 180 longitude
>
> just like the dry east & west russia extremes you mention
below