Subject: Re: Russia Extremes (and relation to 180 Meridien)
Date: Feb 10, 2005 @ 15:51
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

the map at the end of this official but as yet unratified treaty
http://russia.shaps.hawaii.edu/fp/us/agree.html
gives west longitude 168deg 58min 37sec as wet rue
aka the easternmost extremity of russian territorial waters
but it is based on a fully ratified 1867 treaty
so i presume it is correct & effective

that is absolute rue too

& dry rue
aka the easternmost point of dry land in russia
is about 1500 meters west of that
on the easternmost point of big diomede island

but i could only approximate the longitude for that
if you still want it anyway

& please see 1 insert below

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Roger_Rowlett"
<roger.rowlett@a...> wrote:

> I'm a lurker in this group.
>
> But I was curious if anybody has the exact coordinates for the
> geographic extremes for Russia since it straddles the 180
Meridien.

> The United States has "through the looking glass" extremes
because
> the Aleutians in Alaska straddle the Meridien (in which Alaska
has
> the North, East and West geographic extremes for the U.S.)
>

> West Point on Amatignak Island at 179° 06' 31" west is
considered
> the extreme west point of the U.S.
>
> Pochnoi Point on Semisopochnoi Island has coordinates of
179° 46'
> East is only 70 miles WEST of Amatignak but it gets the East
> designation.

again a distinction could be made between wet & dry

the easternmost & westernmost points of the usa actually
converge further
if you mean to include the american territorial waters
&or the american eezs

technically the easternmost & westernmost points of the usa are
both at 180 longitude

just like the dry east & west russia extremes you mention below

> And just to make things interesting the Aleutians continue
another
> 300 miles WEST to Cape Wrangell on Attu Island at 172° 54'
East
> Even though Attu Island is as far as you can go from right to left
> on a map for both Alaska and the U.S. it doesn't count as any
> extreme by our traditional ways of determining this.
>
> Presumably Russia would have similar looking glass
coordinates
> although perhaps not quite so dramatic since the 180
meridien
> crosses a big swath of Siberia (so the east/west Russia
extremes