Subject: Re: Bordermarkers as monuments
Date: Feb 03, 2005 @ 20:28
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

indeed wolfgang
bordermarkers
a r e
monuments

& they are also ordinarily called boundary monuments

i liked your explanation of
unbroken
too
tho it is actually the exact opposite of what mr nasarbajew meant
as he was saying there would be no broken borders
not no unbroken borders
hahahahaha

& your equating unbroken with plowed is lovely too
even if also contrary to common sense
& even tho my unabridged dictionary & i have never heard of that
uncommon or nonexistent sense either
of the word plough or plow

but perhaps you can substantiate this
for it is the second crazy plough claim we have heard this week
hahahaha

oh & please do explain what you meant by victim too in your
previous slurry before you proceed to pile on any more
nonsense

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Wolfgang Schaub"
<Wolfgang.Schaub@c...> wrote:
> Just two examples:
>
> 1) The East:
>
> If you walk from Simikot / Humla District, Western Nepal,
upwards in the
> valley of the Humla Karnali Goshi, you will, after a few days,
cross the
> Nara Lagna pass at 4580 m down into the valley. Near the
hamlet Hilsa the
> river forms the Nepalese/Tibetan boundary. Crossing the river -
which is
> easily possible on a bridge, absolutely devoid of controls - one
climbs up a
> promontory to reach the prominently looking Chinese
"bordermarker", with the
> characters for "zhong" and "guo" - Land of the Middle - facing
Nepal (!),
> something which is unusual for Western bordermarkers. Not
only this, but
> also the fact that the dark-grey concrete pillar is about 200 m
off the
> river bed indicates it is meant as a "warning" against all wild
barbarians =
> non-Chinese, to keep off and be impressed.
>
> Walking on into Tibet, next came the village Sher - 3600 m -
and a few miles
> later the bigger village of Kojarnath. Here is the first Chinese
police
> station, with a timid young Chinese police officer holding out in
his
> hopeless position among hostile Tibetan locals. No controls
either. Further
> on, after another few miles, you will reach the little town of
> Purong/Taklakot, where tea is waiting in the local guest house.
Here you
> will be met by Chinese green-uniform officials who will check
your
> passports, and, most important, stamp them, will have an
interested look
> into the smaller bags - the larger rucksacks remain
unchecked. Finally the
> friendly officials will stand up, together with the entire party, for
an
> "international friendship" group snapshot outside of the office.
Afterwards
> you are free to do whatever you like in Tibet - provided you find
something
> to eat.
>
> Sorry, the pictures that I have are in my photo album.
>
> 2) The Soviet style:
>
> You best take the former inner-German border. It was
"ploughed" and
> "unbroken", to speak in Mr. Nasarbajew's terminology.
Ploughed means there
> was a broad, staggered security strip, with watchtowers and
shooting ranges,
> so that anybody trying to cross the border - an absolute crime
in
> communism - could easily be detected and "liquidated".
Unbroken means it was
> completely tight, no holes in between. The border fortification
line did not
> follow the "official" delineation - there have been deviations of
up to
> several hundred metres. I remember a place in Bavaria,
where, next to the
> sidewalk of a West German road, there stood the East German
border marker in
> a deep forest, while the "real" border was far away "ploughing"
through a
> better controllable back-country area. These were places
where you could
> take foreign visitors to when they wanted to be thrilled by
stepping into
> East Germany un-punished.
>
> In other words: The boundary fortifications served as a
monument of warning.