Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Map site
Date: Jan 30, 2005 @ 16:11
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)

ok good
but i dont yet find all the confirmation you say we do

& the impression i am getting from all of this taken
together is that only the saudi border post is on the
international island whose name we dont yet know
as shown by the cia in 2003
whereas the bahraini post seems not to be there facing
the saudi post directly on that island at all
for all i can gather
but appears to be rather on this larger & also
partially backfilled
umm nasan
or umm an nasan
or umm al nasan
island
presumably properly so called in every case
in proximity & together with the wildlife preserve etc

in this i am taking both the travel images & the
french source at their word about all of it
rather than presuming there is any mistake at all

for considering the change in the shape of this larger
island also
as also depicted by the cia between 1980 & 1991
i dont believe that the french text
however fragmentary or wobbly it may be
necessarily refers to 2 different islands
as i am guessing you presume it does

for we are back at that delicate cleavage between what
is actually confirmed & what is only supposed

http://snack.p.lodz.pl/~bogmilka/sp6nvk/Mapy/strony_map/maps
> > _maps.htm
> > >
> > > has nice maps of M�rket Reef, Gibraltar, divided
> island by
> > Bahrain etc.
> > >
> > > Jesper
> >
> > this new supposedly
> > divided island by bahrain
> > appears to have actually been compounded rather
> than divided
> >
> > & largely or entirely compounded by saudi arabia
> > evidently
> > rather than by bahrain necessarily at all
> >
> > & these are real distinctions that are perhaps
> worth making
> > for if you compare the 2003 bahrain map given at
> this site to
> the
> > 1980 edition of essentially the same cia map also
> given at pcl
> > http://www.lib.utexas.edu/bahrain.html
> > it appears the 1958 bhsa maritime boundary may
> originally
> have
> > just nicked this island
> > in the same way we have seen the maritime cafr
> boundary just
> > nick ile verte
> >
> > & thus the island appears to have been compounded
> > somewhat like ellis island was
> > albeit without any need for a judicial decision in
> this case
> >
> > & i am guessing this work must have been done at
> some time
> > after the 1980 but before the 1991 edition of the
> same map
> also
> > given here at pcl
> >
> > now i am not saying nothing at all was added to
> the bahrain
> side
> >
> > for i dont see how an originally single dry bhsa
> point
> > if indeed that is all it originally was
> > could have been extended into a line by any amount
> of
> backfilling
> >
> > yet i do suppose that that is substantially if not
> precisely what
> > must have occurred

=== message truncated ===