Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Map site
Date: Jan 30, 2005 @ 04:01
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

The correct URL of the 1980 Bahrain map is:
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/bahrain.html .

By "compounded," I assume (from your reference to Ellis Island) that you mean
enlarged by the addition of fill. There are photos of part of the King Fahd
Causeway at http://www.kingfahdbinabdulaziz.com/jpghi/f019.jpg
and at
http://www.kingfahdbinabdulaziz.com/jpghi/f019.jpg .
You can see that there are a number of artificial islands between the five
bridge sections. The island in question is not readily visible in these photos.

However, the web site at
http://www.dawn.com/2005/01/14/int16.htm says "An artificial island was created
halfway across the strait separating the two countries, for customs and
immigration formalities."

..and finally, we find an excellent photo at
http://galen-frysinger.com/middle_east/bahrain28.jpg showing "the center
station" on the causeway. Quite an elaborate set of border stations! Another
web site with a small version of the same photo gives the name of the island as
"Umm Al Na'san." Can anyone translate?

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA