Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Fwd: Re: Please fwd to bp (tried
Date: Dec 26, 2004 @ 21:54
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)

Michael Kaufman <mikekaufman79@...> wrote:

Ha! thanks for welcoming my cell phone.

hahaha

i welcome everything that hums

more goodies below

With limited
internet access, it is hard to get the topos from
topozone and I was in Seattle on the way back to
Virginia at the time I asked anyway. Yes I use the
term tertiary all the time too. The original text was
modified several times, from "3rd" to "3rd lvl" to
"3rd level," etc as I only had so much patience with
the texting feature on my phone through the number
pad. So I wrote a little, then later in the day I
would modify it. By the time I had "3rd level," I had
no inclination to erase it all and type out "tertiary"
with the number pad.
But yeah of course tertiary is what I was focusing on.
Especially since there are precious few quartenary
level entities, let alone points. As far as I can
tell the Commonwealth of VA has a law on its books
prohibiting the establishment of incorporated
quartenary level entities within counties of
population density greater than 1000 people per square
mile. Arlington and Fairfax currently exceed this
level and thus can not have more incorporated towns
within them. From what I can gather, there must be
some grandfather clause allowing Herndon, Vienna, and
Clifton to exist as incorporated towns within Fairfax
County (the three of which assumably were incorporated
before VA passed the law). And Arlington County has
no towns incorporated inside of it. Also, cities like
Falls Church, Alexandria, and Fairfax (the city) are
tertiary/county-level entities themselves, and are
thus not part of any counties. (Oddly enough, Fairfax
city is the county seat of Fairfax County, even though
it is not part of Fairfax County).
But I have yet to see a single bordermarker anywhere
marking anything on the tertiary intrastate level.

thanx

all extremely interesting & much news

i can tell you connecticut at least has most of its quaternary & therefore its tertiary tripoints marked

but thats probably because the towns are more like counties there than the counties are

my own home town of cornwall has the quaternary megapoint cacogono with canaan & goshen & norfolk marked by a marvelous hand chiseled 18th century diagram rock you can move about if you prefer a different orientation or location

& of course we have recently seen a few marked termegapts in a few other states that you probably dont mean

but i have actually found 1 virginia quaternary municipality that marks its borders

however the counties of virginia are in my actual albeit limited experience to date as naked of markers as lowell appears to be suggesting the counties of texas must be

so anything you do find will be quite remarkable at this point

now live like a half mile or so from DCMDVAS so I am
going to check that one out soon, hopefully next
weekend, perhaps on the New Year.
-Mike

great

vis tecum

& you will be part of our multidimensional 2005 trypointing inaugural then even if you just do it from shore

& if your flotation is reliable then no chills or sweat for a class b either since i think the usgs topo is right on the money on this one

but you could also return with a canoe or even just an inner tube in july for the flip side when the water is choppier from speedboats & you are almost guaranteed to get at least a little wet

end of inserts but a good message to save & savor again since you also appear to be pointing to a day when we can all be roaming the earth & reporting & checking our findings here effortlessly in real time

i think a cellphone & a laptop will do it if not already now or soon then hopefully in time for my europe 2008 spree

but really can you imagine me trying to find a library in all those languages

hahahahaha

--- aletheia kallos wrote:

> Note: forwarded message attached.

> ATTACHMENT part 2 message/rfc822
> Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 10:04:21 -0800 (PST)
> From: aletheia kallos
> Subject: Re: Please fwd to bp (tried
> To: 9788860210@...
>

> 9788860210@... wrote:
>
> Please fwd to bp (tried but did not work 4 me b4):
> anyone know - Are north va 3rd level tps marked ? -
> mike k.
>
> welcome mike & thanx
> & i trust our owners &or masters will iron this kink
> out directly
>

> & depending on what you mean by 3rd level
> i may have a little experience on this question
>
> if you mean what we here at bp have been calling the
> tertiary or multicounty level
> with the secondary being the multistate level in the
> usa & the primary or world class level being the
> multinational
> then i can tell you that none of the dozen or so of
> this 3rd level type that i have diligently tried to
> find based on usgs topos were marked in any way that
> i could discern
>
> but if you mean by 3rd level as many people do the
> next level down
> or in other words the municipal tripoint level
> then my parochial experience of this
> being restricted only to cases falling on county
> lines
> may be sufficient to answer also
> that they too are generally unmarked
>
> the single exception i have found in either category
> is not a va intra state but a vawv inter state
> tricounty point with a chiseled rock on it
> at the southeastern tip of the eastern west virginia
> panhandle actually
> & there is also believed to be some marker at the
> northernmost point of virginia
> if that is indeed relevant
> since i forget if it is a tricounty point
>
> so if you have any such stuff to report or are
> inclined to search further in north virginia
> then any intrastate example you may bag at either
> the county or municipal level will be big news here
> at bp
>
> & skip the upper blue ridge since thats the area i
> have already picked clean
>

> coincidently from nonphysical this morning come the
> following fresh words
>
> those who are ready to hear do hear
> & those who are not ready do not
>
> & that which is asked for is received
> & that which is thrust upon is not
>

> & here at the surpise library live music is being
> thrust this morning
> & very lively & lovely it is
> but this was never a very quiet library anyway

Do you Yahoo!?