Subject: Re: borders with left lane and right lane traffic
Date: Dec 23, 2004 @ 18:09
Author: kszephyr ("kszephyr" <kszephyr@...>)

Thailand-Laos: traffic crossing the Friendship Bridge from Nongkhai
(Thailand) keeps to the left in both directions. The Laos border post
is on the left-hand side of the road when viewed from the Thai side,
and as one approaches the post the traffic lanes cross at grade level,
so that both northbound and southbound vehicles are processed on the
right-hand side of the building. There may be a "yield" sign at the
crossover point, but in any case the volume of vehicular traffic is
usually quite low, and no problem seems to arise.

Thailand-Myanmar border at Mae Sai/Tachilek: this is also a bridge
border. Vehicles wait on either side to cross the bridge, and are
alternately directed across in a single lane as in a road works
situation, and once they have crossed over they automatically find
themselves on the correct side of the road.

These are the only two cases of which I have personal experience, but
I recall hearing that between Hong Kong and the PRC there is a flyover
to ensure that border crossing traffic ends up on the correct side of
the road. Can anyone confirm this?

It's an interesting topic, and I hope others can shed some light on
what happens at other "dry border" crossings.

KS

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "L. A. Nadybal" <lnadybal@c...>

<jesniel@i...>