Subject: surprise az again Re: Principal Meridian Project
Date: Dec 20, 2004 @ 17:45
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Shankland\(Train\)"
<shankland@b...> wrote:

> your coverage of the gila & salt river meridian
> & an arriving cool front
> have inspired me to come out of retirement & head downtown tonite
> both to stay warm & to try monument hill
> http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=12
> <http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=12&n=3693882&e=378494>
> &n=3693882&e=378494
> a fascinating location for an initial point
>
> & to think i have been driving baseline road across the phoenix
area
> all these years without realizing what it
> or the prominence at its end
> stood for
>
> Did you visit the Monument?
>
> John

yes
class a
as subsequently reported in message 16314
& i can tell you it felt very much as it actually looks at your
website in broad daylight

also apologies for all those dead links
but i just wanted to give you an idea of the sorts of pix jack & i
can probably dig back up for you in due time if they are still wanted

& about your formatting question
i think you should go as free form as you like & can
rather than adhere to the project confluence format
which tho ideal for itself may not serve your project quite so well

for example
because you have far fewer points to cover & each has such a
distinctive history
you may want to treat them somewhat differently rather than so
uniformly

& why not just experiment from your originality & see how it takes off

my own recently reported takeoff to gila bend
tho it was for nontrypointing purposes & technically over a weekend
as well as while on vacation
& back from retirement too
& yikes on a sabbatical
was however not entirely uneventful
since i realized there that i was only 38 miles from atwoods showcase
1918 road stone
at the original southern pacific & old us80 mayu crossing
& now on the shoulder of interstate 8
http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=12&n=3635810&e=281428
which held forth a chance to see what the missing tablets on his only
other known road stone aka marker number 48 might have said

& tho i realized nothing was any longer at stake
if it ever was
& that it was only a slight chance
seeing how the other one had been so nicely 86ed
i nevertheless found myself heading west again on this eastbound
transcontinental journey
& again chasing that wonderful year 1918

& it even occurred to me en route that these missing tablets might
merely have said the county names & the year
just like the pipe caps on the regular line markers do
only more monumentally so

& indeed thats all there was in the event
hahahaha
& all she actually wrote
tho the stove pipe here rose several feet higher from the obeliskoid
than at monument 48

but no pipe cap here either
not than anyone could have read one 8 feet off the ground anyway
but another 250 dollar reward offered for whoever destroyed whatever
was missing from this monument too

& of course we dont really know the full extent of the damages

so i figure there must have been a real mayu border war all up & down
this line at the time

or maybe just a single disgruntled rancher & lawsuit loser

but anyway it also occurs to me now
the cause of the supposed double washout at lamaya might well have
been of human rather than meteorological origin

aha