Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] surprise
Date: Dec 06, 2004 @ 00:36
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

Mike D.,

La Paz County (according to its official web site at
http://www.co.la-paz.az.us/ ) was formed on January 1, 1983. It was part of
Yuma County prior to that date.

The visible line running westward from the vicinity of the monuments shown on
the 24 K map at your TopoZone link below is not a county boundary. It is a cut
line where two maps have been pieced together. Please note that the same cut
line also runs eastward, giving the appearance of a double county line. Proof
that it is a cut line is the double printing of the red township numbers "31"
and "32" in different fonts. The upper map might be of 1967 vintage, but the
lower one is obviously of post-1983 (post-La Paz) vintage. That is why the
upper map shows the land west of the meridian boundary to be Yuma County, while
the lower one shows it to be La Paz. Before 1983 this was the
Maricopa-Yavapai-Yuma tripoint, and since 1983 it is La Paz-Maricopa-Yavapai.
The remainder of Yuma County is still there south of La Paz.

Paz,

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA