Subject: Re: The highest point in Italy
Date: Nov 08, 2004 @ 18:57
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Wolfgang Schaub"
<Wolfgang.Schaub@c...> wrote:
> I see my Flaschenhals question remains unanswered.

er
i think it is mine that remain unanswered

what basis is there for supposing any tangency or overlap

& what basis is there for supposing any normal communication thru the
bottleneck

i mean
the apparent facts so far seem to simply indicate a practical exclave

more below

> Here is the next one:
>
> When you ask people on the road in Italy what their highest
mountain is many
> will not know. Of those who believe they know, most will answer:
Monte
> Bianco. And, in a way, they are right.
>
> A closer look on (French) maps reveals that the French/Italian
border does
> not run straight across the Alps' highest summit - 4807 m. Rather,
it goes
> with the Bosses crest, where also the "normal" ascent route goes,
until
> short before the summit is reached. Here, as the result of a shaky
> French/Italian agreement of 1861, the border bends off and
describes a
> curve, in a distance of up to 600 m around the summit, to make the
summit
> entirely French, runs across a side summit called "Mont Blanc de
> Courmayeur", before it joins the watershed Atlantic/Mediterranaen
again.

> Those who know this therefore usually label the Mont Blanc de
Courmayeur as
> the highest point in Italy, with 4748 m. Only a small minority of
experts
> ask themselves how high the border point is where it bends off from
Bosses
> crest. Vague reports say it is 4760 m.
>
> So, question to you, scientists and experts to the front: How high
is the
> highest point of Italy?
>
> Wolfgang

well you know we are only truly expert
if at all
on the multipointing front

& i for one would happily take your word about high points

indeed i think it is again you who have some unanswered questions of
mine in hand on that front too