Subject: fort collins co Re: [BoundaryPoint] kearney ne Re: sidney ia
Date: Oct 31, 2004 @ 22:58
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)

well that is interesting
& here i am on a 20minute computer
so i may have to respond in chunks & lurching insertions
but the findings on the site were equally interesting
as were those before & after

so first
i of course couldnt just go direct to cone from my last stop at kearney
but was magnetized by the remote sand hill country as i always am when passing thru

this is another supposedly extreme &or unique dreamland of glacial leavings
that could probably be just as casually dismissed as the iowa loess hills range
but these hills arent all lined up in a chain so much as just in a huge scatter shot
& they & their whole region do have a uniquely dreamy character too
which is most enjoyable when you chance upon a rare jewel of a sand hills lake
suggesting a living continuation from the original glacial meltdown

cone itself i reached only early this morning
after sleeping out under a first light frost in the parking lot at grandma max bosselmans nearby deluxe truck stop
with still cozy thoughts but some concern for the hard freezes plus high mountains that are expected for tonight & beyond if i am not careful about how i proceed from here

but to continue with cone
as i had indeed correctly recalled
each of the 4 quadrants of the 20th century ceremonial slab surrounding the original but beheaded 19th century rock stub & later cap disk
is clearly marked out & devoted & attributed to one of the 4 counties

sw sedgwick colo
se perkins neb
ne keith neb
nw deuel neb
all plain & simple

you look
you see
& you cant doubt it is a fact

plus there is lots of other fine detail among the directional crosshair arrows
like latitude & longitude & altitude & declination etc
all in bronze to match the various tablets
making it all seem really exacting as well as authoritative

& if you dont read & analyze all the fine print on the 5 verbose commemorative plaques installed by the respective county & state hysterical societies
which requires somehow clambering over the protective wrought iron picket fence
which i wasnt able to do last time but was finally able to manage this time
you might think you had just seen a megapoint there
as i have thought for all these years since my previous visit

but embedded in the fine print mainly under keith county is the revelation that
tho keith formerly touched colorado til perkins was sliced off of it in 1887
its southwest corner today is the southwest corner of section 18 of township 12 north of range 41 of the 6th principal meridian

which i think essentially agrees with topozone & your data here below
tho it only addresses the keith offset & not the deuel offset

which however i dont doubt either at this point
since you do have it in at least these 2 county descriptions
& the monument has it in the words of people from the 3rd county
& there is that wiggle in the usgs topo to account for those 54 feet

but exactly why a monument would deliberately misrepresent its border conjunction & then confound itself in the accompanying fine print & then try to prevent you from reading that fine print i do find rather hard to understand
tho i suppose it is just that local pride must count for more than small distances & details in such wide open spaces

but having resolved all that to my satisfaction
i saw a rare chance to devour a couple of entire highways in a row
so i have proceeded from big springs to sterling on us138 end to end
& there i picked up colorado14 bound for rabbit ears pass by the back door
if it doesnt snow tonight as promised etc

beeps

"Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...> wrote:
The statutory description of the boundaries of Perkins County (Nebraska Revised
Statutes 22-168) indicate that CONE CONE is not even a tripoint, much less a
quadripoint:

"The county of Perkins is bounded as follows: Commencing at the southwest corner
of township nine, north, of range forty-two, west, on the west boundary of
Nebraska; thence east to the southeast corner of township nine, north, of range
thirty-five, west; thence north to the northeast corner of section twenty-four,
township twelve, west; thence west on section lines to the northwest corner of
section nineteen, in township twelve, north, of range forty-one, west; thence
south along the west line of said section nineteen to its intersection with the
south boundary of Nebraska; thence east along said boundary line to the monument
at the northeast corner of Colorado; thence south along the west boundary of
Nebraska to the place of beginning."

Thus, Perkins County has a stubby panhandle extending across north of CONE CONE!

Furthermore, the statutory description of the boundaries of Deuel County
(Nebraska Revised Statutes 22-125) give us the east-west dimention of the stubby
Perkins panhandle:

The county of Deuel is bounded as follows: Commencing at the point where the
line between ranges forty-one and forty-two, west of the sixth principal
meridian intersects the south boundary of Nebraska, eighty-two links west of the
monument at the northeast corner of Colorado; thence west..."

So, the Deuel-Perkins-Sedgwick tripoint is 82 links (54.12 feet) west of CONE
CONE, and the Deuel-Keith-Perkins tripoint would be a somewhat longer distance
north of that.  Jack suggests 500 feet, and I think that's probably close.

If the road alignments on USGS can be trusted, CONE CONE should be slightly east
of the road junction, that junction being Deuel-Perkins-Sedgwick.  Note how USGS
has the road southward from the junction slanting slightly to the east for about
a hundred yards to find the north-south segment of CONE.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA